Hello and welcome to my new blogspot. My name is Adrian Edwards and it is my honour to be the 411th Mayor of Newbury. Here I am pictured in my full Mayoral robes with my Mayoress Edwina Cooper. It is my second time as Mayor of this town and it will be my pleasure to record and explain the numerous roles of a modern day Mayor. I hope you will enjoy reading this online diary as much as I am sure that I am going to enjoy carrying out my civic duties. If there is anything you wish to query or indeed if you would like me to attend a function that you are organising, have no hesitation in contacting my Civic Manager Joyce Lewis on 01635 41583. Thank you once again for sparing your time.

Saturday 24 November 2007

OPENING OF THE NEW HUCKNET,BLOSSOMS FIELD, WASH COMMON


Blossoms Field is part of the Wash Common recreation ground and runs alongside Enborne Street. It has been used for informal football and has recently had a netball stand and hoop installed for use by the young people in the area. I was asked to carry out an official opening of a Hucknet on the 24 November at 11a.m. which had been installed a week previously. The hucknet is a conical climbing rope structure some 20 feet high and is suitable for 8 to 14 year old children. It is an innovative way of giving children the opportunity to exercise agility and coordination and to build confidence. It is very robust and has gone through safety tests.
In my speech to open it, I mentioned that Deborah Wyatt and Beverley Lewis of the Wash Common Jubilee Park project had worked hard to raise funds for this equipment. Their aim was to provide more equipment for the 8 to 14 age range within the Wash Common area. The Town Council and from Section 106 contributions from developers added to the funds raised. I also said that this is the continuation of a longer term project. We proposed to expand the range of play equipment that will meet some of the needs of older children, but we also would make it more secure and accessible for the disabled.
After this opening ceremony, we all adjourned to the nearby community centre for hot drinks to thaw us all out, as it was a very cold morning. I am pleased to say that the Hucknet is being used and no damage has been done to it. I hope that this continues.

No comments: