Hello and welcome to my new blogspot. My name is Adrian Edwards and it is my honour to be the 411th Mayor of Newbury. Here I am pictured in my full Mayoral robes with my Mayoress Edwina Cooper. It is my second time as Mayor of this town and it will be my pleasure to record and explain the numerous roles of a modern day Mayor. I hope you will enjoy reading this online diary as much as I am sure that I am going to enjoy carrying out my civic duties. If there is anything you wish to query or indeed if you would like me to attend a function that you are organising, have no hesitation in contacting my Civic Manager Joyce Lewis on 01635 41583. Thank you once again for sparing your time.

Sunday 26 August 2007

Art On the Park


The annual Art on the Park is usually held on the afternoon after the Mayor Making Ceremony, but due to the appalling weather that day, the event was postponed until Sunday 26th August.

When I arrived at the railings of Victoria Park with the Mayoress, all the exhibitors had set up their areas and were prepared for business, even though it was very overcast. I was told that the number of exhibitors exceeded previous years' attendance; I believe it was 29 There was a wide variety of art on display - sculpture, wood carving, oils, water colours, pen and ink, acrylics, colour photography, as well as a couple of stalls that had handmade ladies' jewellery and even a stall with woollen handmade cuddly toys.


It was evident that those exhibitors who lived in the Newbury area, used scenes from the river and canal as their subjects for their paintings, particularly the river bridge, Lock, Stock & Barrel and the lock. Some had travelled in foreign parts and had painted scenes from their travels.


I noted that the sun came out as I had completed talking to the last exhibitor. The turn out of potential customers was good and no doubt they had lots to choose from. Edwina Cooper, the Mayoress, bought a painting of the River Bridge to give to her son as a house warming present. I did not as I already have one!!

-

No comments: