Hello and welcome to my new blogspot. My name is Adrian Edwards and it is my honour to be the 411th Mayor of Newbury. Here I am pictured in my full Mayoral robes with my Mayoress Edwina Cooper. It is my second time as Mayor of this town and it will be my pleasure to record and explain the numerous roles of a modern day Mayor. I hope you will enjoy reading this online diary as much as I am sure that I am going to enjoy carrying out my civic duties. If there is anything you wish to query or indeed if you would like me to attend a function that you are organising, have no hesitation in contacting my Civic Manager Joyce Lewis on 01635 41583. Thank you once again for sparing your time.

Tuesday 25 September 2007

BERKSHIRE BLIND SOCIETY ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING – ST.GEORGES CENTRE

I was invited to attend the Blind Society AGM at the St. Georges Centre at Wash Common on the afternoon of 25 September. When I arrived, I saw the hall was almost full and including the Mayors of Thatcham and Hungerford.
The AGM followed its usual pattern with reports on the years progress and the financial situation After the business aspects, there was musical entertainment. I noted that there were members from most of the towns in West Berkshire in groups together on separate tables and I joined the Newbury group. Amongst them was Florrie Marx, the widow of Frank Marx who had been one of the Town Council macebearers. Although partially sighted, she manages to get around reasonably well and she often attends civic functions and is a regular attendee of the
Remembrance Sunday parade and service.
I am always pleased to attend these functions as it indicates that there are a great number of kind, caring and thoughtful people who care for the disadvantaged in the Town, who do this caring without any thought of reward. The delight on the faces of those attending is always a wonderful reflection of what they think of being looked after.

No comments: