Hello and welcome to my new blogspot. My name is Adrian Edwards and it is my honour to be the 411th Mayor of Newbury. Here I am pictured in my full Mayoral robes with my Mayoress Edwina Cooper. It is my second time as Mayor of this town and it will be my pleasure to record and explain the numerous roles of a modern day Mayor. I hope you will enjoy reading this online diary as much as I am sure that I am going to enjoy carrying out my civic duties. If there is anything you wish to query or indeed if you would like me to attend a function that you are organising, have no hesitation in contacting my Civic Manager Joyce Lewis on 01635 41583. Thank you once again for sparing your time.

Sunday 16 September 2007

THE ROYAL COUNTY OF BERKSHIRE SHOW


It is a fun day at the Agriculture Show each year as there is always new things to see and do there. This year was disappointing that due to the foot and mouth incidents in Surrey, there was a ban on the movement of cattle and sheep and therefore there were none at the show. Edwina and I were really saddened to see the empty enclosures with just cardboard cutouts of animals to indicate the plight of the breeders.
We headed for the Newbury Weekly News marquee as we were invited to a late breakfast. I declined the champagne and opted for tea and a bacon sandwich served by the Chairman’s PA and staff, and sat down with Richard Benyon with Zoe with their baby son. We also talked with the Chairman of the NWN group Jeremy Willis and John Hampton, the MD. It was a very popular watering hole and we were very grateful for the hospitality shown by the NWN. The Show is a great occasion because you often meet those people you have not seen for ages. One such couple was Doctors Wyn and Maria Anderson. Wyn is the senior medical officer at AWE Aldermaston and Maria worked for Newdocs when it was in existence. They were providing the medical cover and she said the only casualty was from a wasp sting. We toured around the show and stopped at many of the charity stalls including the Lifeboats. We spent a fair amount of time in the craft marquee and then into the food tent. We are so lucky to live in the 21st century as there is such a wealth of different foods from a wide of countries and cultures. The stands were well patronised and we were both drooling as we left the marquee to go to the display ring to see the JCB Dancing Diggers. The manoeuvrability of the diggers and the skills of the drivers was remarkable. There was not a scratch of paintwork on any of them at the end of the performance.
We left the Show soon afterwards and we both agreed it was a good Show and we would return next year.

No comments: