Hello and welcome to my new blogspot. My name is Adrian Edwards and it is my honour to be the 411th Mayor of Newbury. Here I am pictured in my full Mayoral robes with my Mayoress Edwina Cooper. It is my second time as Mayor of this town and it will be my pleasure to record and explain the numerous roles of a modern day Mayor. I hope you will enjoy reading this online diary as much as I am sure that I am going to enjoy carrying out my civic duties. If there is anything you wish to query or indeed if you would like me to attend a function that you are organising, have no hesitation in contacting my Civic Manager Joyce Lewis on 01635 41583. Thank you once again for sparing your time.

Wednesday 12 September 2007

ANNUAL BOWLS MATCH V NEWBURY BOWLS CLUB


Due to the appalling weather on 15 August, we were not able to complete the annual bowls match and it was rearranged for 12 September. So we all assembled at the Bowls Club at 5.30 p.m. to compete in this very important fixture. The weather was fine and ideal for this competition. We fielded 4 teams of 4 on each rink (I think that is what it is called). My team comprised Edwina Cooper, Sue Page and Jeff Beck; team 2 was Brian Atkins, Maureen Atkins, Karen Hutt and Wayne Hutt; team 3 Margaret Gore, Jim McFerran, Phil Barnett and Caroline Parkinson; team 4 was Jo Lempriere, Lee Lempriere, George Russell and Howard Bairstow.
Each team started well but though we all tried hard, we were well beaten by a much more skilful opposition. They were very keen to win back the trophy. We all enjoyed the après bowls in the club house and the very pleasant company. I think that we actually won the most prizes in the raffle so we did not go away empty handed. As I presented the cup to the President of the Club, I said that we were only handing it over on an annual lease and expected to win it next year under a new captaincy!

A splendid evening was enjoyed by us all and we all look forward to next year's match.

No comments: