Hello and welcome to my new blogspot. My name is Adrian Edwards and it is my honour to be the 411th Mayor of Newbury. Here I am pictured in my full Mayoral robes with my Mayoress Edwina Cooper. It is my second time as Mayor of this town and it will be my pleasure to record and explain the numerous roles of a modern day Mayor. I hope you will enjoy reading this online diary as much as I am sure that I am going to enjoy carrying out my civic duties. If there is anything you wish to query or indeed if you would like me to attend a function that you are organising, have no hesitation in contacting my Civic Manager Joyce Lewis on 01635 41583. Thank you once again for sparing your time.

Friday 14 September 2007

NEWBURY IN BLOOM PRESENTATION EVENING


One of the highlights of the year is the presentation of awards evening of the Newbury in Bloom competition. As usual the Council Chamber was packed to capacity with expectant competitors, and I noted many who had taken part in last years competition.
It had been a difficult year for all the gardeners with so much rain that much of the allotment produce and the flower boxes and gardens were not able to be as brilliant as in previous years. It had not dampened the keenness and spirit of the exhibitors who in my eyes had done very well. I was able to visit some of the locations and I thought they were excellent, including the allotment areas. The very pleasing aspect was the efforts of the children with their respective displays and their attempts at growing the tallest sunflower.


The winners of the various categories were as follows:

Best garden – children Henry Nash and Joe Barlow
Best wildlife garden Audrey Godfrey
Best allotment Rod and Sally Holmes
Best front gardens Eyles Cottages and Willows Court
Best community garden Marshalls Court
Best commercial container Weavers Walk
Best commercial floral display Newbury Racecourse
Best domestic container Mr F Sheppard
Tallest Sunflower Victoria Park Nursery (2.46m)
Best Garden (South) Mark Newbrook
Best garden (North) Bernadette McTaggart

Overall Winner Mark Newbrook for his jungle garden.


The Town Council is very grateful for the generosity of the sponsors of Newbury in Bloom as follows:


English Landscapes
Trywines
Patrick McCartan (King Charles Tavern)

Breathe Pictures
Ken Amor
Gandlake Computers Ltd

We must also thank the judges who had such a difficult task ;

Danny Blyth, former winner of in Bloom
Steve Attrill, Grounds Maintenance Officer, Newbury Town Council

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just wonder how many in Newbury knows that Danny died 1st Oct., 2008 and his lovely wife needed support, which my opinon was sorely ignored. He wrote many obituaries for the ordinary person, yet none was wrote for him in Newbury. My son loved the allotments and tried so hard to get you all involved. Newbury hang your heads in shame. The cricket club he started at Kirk Brae and CAMRA all remembered and kept in touch with his family.