Hello and welcome to my new blogspot. My name is Adrian Edwards and it is my honour to be the 411th Mayor of Newbury. Here I am pictured in my full Mayoral robes with my Mayoress Edwina Cooper. It is my second time as Mayor of this town and it will be my pleasure to record and explain the numerous roles of a modern day Mayor. I hope you will enjoy reading this online diary as much as I am sure that I am going to enjoy carrying out my civic duties. If there is anything you wish to query or indeed if you would like me to attend a function that you are organising, have no hesitation in contacting my Civic Manager Joyce Lewis on 01635 41583. Thank you once again for sparing your time.

Saturday 8 September 2007

Mayor's Charity Coffee Morning

This charity coffee morning was my first and it was in aid of the Newbury Weekly News’ Over 80s Parcel Fund. There is, I discovered, a great deal of preparation involved and when I arrived early at 9a.m. Joyce Lewis, the Civic Manager was already there, cutting up cake. So I started to help cutting the cake, after of course washing my hands. Other helpers arrived and it was a hive of activity right up to opening time of 10 a.m. Our first customers arrived at 9.45 a.m. which caught us slightly on the wrong foot but coffee and cake made them feel at home.
Throughout the morning there was a steady stream of customers, including a good presence of Town Councillors in support. Some of the customers I knew well but there was also a fair number who had come by coach and stopped in the wharf for refreshment and seeing the coffee morning signs, decided to have coffee with the Mayor! History tends to repeat itself as 300 years ago and up to the times when rail travel was introduced, Newbury was a town noted for catering for travellers on the stage coaches between London and Bath and Bristol, and for the lesser traffic between Oxford and Winchester. Some of the famous Hostelries and Inns used by travellers in those days still exist to this day, one being the Chequers Hotel.
It was gratifying to hear the visitors remarking favourably about Newbury and I hope that one day they will return for another cup of coffee. The coffee morning raised over £280 and I am particularly grateful to Joyce Lewis and her team for their efforts in making this event the success it was.

No comments: